Friday, November 19, 2010

Duct Tape, Pork Chops and other Nifty Things

So I realize that the last few posts have been about childhood toys, cartoon characters and reality televesion. Next thing you know, I’ll be blogging about Justin Beiber. Just kidding. I won’t go that far.

But I do owe you a grown up post, filled with useful information and nifty things you can take away with you (because I’m not all-that enough to do give aways just yet).

Here you go, some free advice. Things I’ve learned and will now pass on to you, loyal readers. Now don’t say I never gave you anything!

Duct tape works well to patch pants from the inside when they begin thinning from your fat thighs rubbing together. Be aware, though, that it will soon begin sticking to said fat thighs, which is quite uncomfortable, and will need to be gently tugged away from the skin, which can be awkward in social settings. Another layer of duct tape fixes this problem, but not for long. Lesson learned: This is not a permanent solution. Buy some new jeans, thunder thighs.

I can substitute vinegar for the cleaner in my Hoover Floor Mate. It’s way cheaper and works just as well, if not better. Plus it’s green, which I feel good saying. Since I don’t actually do many “green things” It is my favorite color though, so that should count for something.

A mixture of half Red Wine Vinegar and half White Wine Vinegar can be used in place of Apple Cider Vinegar when cooking. I don’t know how it would do in the Hoover though.

Pork Chops are a very good substitute for steak, and much less expensive; even than a less than stellar cut of beef. This sounds good to me, because A) I like to save money, and B) I don’t care as much for pigs as I do cows, and will likely feel less terrible about serving them on a plate. I made some piggies for LT Fromage last week and he loved them. (Mouth watering yet? Here you go!)

Apple Ginger Pork Chops
Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri (Who totally rocks)

Ingredients
4
pork chops, double cut, center cut, bone in
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons minced
ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons fresh
lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup white
wine
1 cup sliced (1/4-inch) yellow onions
2 cups cored and sliced (1/4-inch) Granny Smith apples
1/2 cup raisins
2 tablespoons butter


Directions
In a resealable plastic bag, add the chops, apple
cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Marinate for 30 minutes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large saute pan heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil to almost smoking, then add pork chops, shaking off excess
marinade. Brown on both sides, then place on a sheet pan and put in the oven for 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 135 degrees F.

In the same saute pan
deglaze with wine then add onions, apples and raisins and cook until apples are soft and onions are translucent. Add butter salt and pepper, to taste, and keep warm.
Remove chops from oven and add to the apple mixture. Serve hot.


Notes From Lady Fromage:

I didn’t buy bone in chops; I couldn’t find them so I got a thick cut instead.

I subbed my above mixture for the Apple Cider Vinegar because I didn’t have any.

Also, who has fresh ginger around? I used powdered instead, but not as much obviously. Those would have been some gingery pieces of pork!

I didn’t have raisins so I used dried dates (Why we have those and not raisins I don’t know…).

I used Lime Juice because we didn’t have any lemons. A citrus is a citrus.

I clearly need to restock my kitchen. Now we don't even have anymore dried dates.

Lastly, I marinated for more like 12 hours, because how can 30 minutes do anything?

7 comments:

  1. while the recipe sounds like it's probably good -- I don't particularly enjoy eating pork =/
    I laughed out loud reading about the duct tape =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is why I read your blog! You are full of good advise, good recipes and good humor! HA!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, but after you Hoover with the vinegar, do you get a craving for french fries?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still laughing about the duct tape.

    And I need some new pants...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, you are about the funniest thing ever! Thanks for the comment on my blog. Ican tell I am going to be hanging out here a lot. I had no idea I could duct tape my thunder thighs. Will it work for my abs of dough too?
    Anxiouly waiting.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I've never had fries with vinegar. So no, that combo doesn't make me hungry. Although, all this talk of fries makes me crave them NOW. Thanks a lot! ;)

    Duct tape rules my world. Not sure how it works for abs, but I wouldn't doubt it's ability! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your duct tape tip is funny:) I didn't know the vinegar trick, thanks. And the pork chop recipes is so delicious! Thanks again for participating in the YBR:)

    ReplyDelete

Do I need to be liked? Absolutely not. I like to be liked. I enjoy being liked. I have to be liked. But it's not like this, compulsive, need, to be liked. Like my need to be praised. - Michael Scott, "The Office"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...