Saturday, June 26, 2010

Life Changing Updates (part II)

I realize my last post was primarily about hubby, but since what he does affects me greatly, it seems important information to share. Skip it if you don’t care, I won’t get my feelings hurt :-) But here’s my side of the story (because isn’t that how it always is? His side/Her side.)

Now that hubby’s the new Troop Commander that makes me the Commander’s Wife. I’ve been “issued” a handbook (No, I’m not making this up) and with (his) increased responsibility comes (my) increased social obligations. I’ve pretty much decided to tell people we’re separating, to avoid the “mandatory shoulder rubbing”. Hubby and I now have to be more involved in the FRG (Family Readiness Group) and I’m expected to be more involved with the wives’ groups. Fellow introverts will understand how I’m feeling, and for the extroverts: I’m looking forward to this like a root canal. (But really, I am so proud of him, and honored to be his wifey!)

Moving on, what I really wanted to talk about was change, and what I’m doing.

In an effort to create some structure and control, I’ve been trying to find areas that I can directly affect, things that will make me feel better and make life easier. For the last 5 weeks or so, these are the things I’ve been focused on changing.

My Job

In addition to hubby’s work changes, a new career path is in the future for me too. I’ve started an at-home training program to become a Medical Transcriptionist. I know it sounds like a scam, but it’s not. Basically, I’m just learning medical terminology and word structure (My WPM is already kick A$$), they provide me with dictations so I can practice, and then I can count all of these hours spent training as experience so I can apply for some jobs. I’ve wanted to do this for a while, I don’t know why it took me so long to start. I'm about 10% of the way through the program already!

My Time

There are claims of 80k a year in MT, but realistically, I know to start, I’ll only be making about what I make now (NOT 80k…!). But, I’ll get to work from home, that’s what I’m most stoked about. I’m looking forward to getting some control back in my life by finding more time in my day. Right now, we both get home about 6 and we aim to be asleep by 9. This means we have 3 hours after we get home to make and eat supper, do household chores, care for all of our furry kids and have some “us” time. That’s hard to do in 3 hours. Soon I’ll be able to start work at 5:30AM (After I’ve already fed the dogs, made lunches, seen hubby off to work!), put in 8 hours and be done by 2. That extra 4 hours every day is going to be amazing, I can’t wait to have supper on the table when hubby gets home, with the laundry and poop scooping already out of the way!

My Weight

My diet is still on track! I’m 1.6 pounds away from my mini-goal, and I have until the 1st to drop that last bit! My clothes don’t fit anymore… in a good way. Even if I don’t actually make my mini goal on schedule, I’ve lost 16.4 pounds, and I feel good and in control of my weight. No matter how long it takes me to reach my final goal weight, I’ll get there and I’ll maintain! It feels great to see changes.

The Little Things
Be more understanding and patient, more appreciative and less selfish. Spend more time with the dogs and less money. Take responsibility; make changes where changes need to be made. Drink more water. Let things go, choose my battles wisely. Become the person I want to be.

1 comment:

  1. So love all that you are doing! Sounds like you are really focused on YOU (and your relationships) right now, and that is SO cool! And guess what??? I just happened to pick up "The Happiness Project" last week (can you believe it?!?) I haven't had a minute to actually start reading it yet, but it looks real pretty on my book shelf :0

    Hopefully I can set aside some time to actually crack it open - I think I'm going to LOVE it! (I really do make an effort to live that way - I think her book will help!) Thanks for mentioning it on my blog!!! Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete

Do I need to be liked? Absolutely not. I like to be liked. I enjoy being liked. I have to be liked. But it's not like this, compulsive, need, to be liked. Like my need to be praised. - Michael Scott, "The Office"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...